Friday, April 6, 2012

Faith In Action Friday: Love ~ 1

1 Corinthians 13:1 If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love. I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate.
The woman in Proverbs 9 comes to mind when I read the above verse.....clamorous.
clam·or·ous [ klámmərəss ] Audio player
demanding attention: demanding attention loudly and insistently
loud: loud and excited or angry
noisy: making a loud noise
Well, here we are, verse 1.....guilty as charged. Oh I can hear myself prattling on about something. Lecturing on some fact, something that is so insignificant, yet I'm the eloquent expert when it comes to this trifling matter.......
Have I stopped to think what I am saying? Have I stopped to process thoughts and realize who my words will affect? What do I sound like to my husband and children? Am I saying these things in a loving manner? Or have I even realized that my thoughts may not be filled with love?

Being a great speaker means nothing to the Lord if I don't have love filling my heart and my soul. The ugly that is inside of me will spill out and show my true colors. Love speaks the truth and thinks before it opens it mouth.

As women we love to talk as our quiet thoughtful husbands sit and listen, trying to process a thought and we continue to talk and talk and talk. This verse is a much needed reminder to me that I need to stop, think, process, and then talk and many times, I don't really need to say anything. I need to make sure my talk and my walk match. It is easy to SAY one thing and not have any of God's love to back it up.

So stop. And when in doubt, zip it.



"To keep your marriage brimming,
With love in the loving cup,
Whenever you're wrong, admit it;
Whenever you're right, shut up."
-- Ogden Nash

No comments:

Post a Comment