Friday, June 5, 2009

Craft Creation: Grant's Rocker

Still no closing date......hmmm. Still trying to stay busy so I don't go crazy! Tommy volunteered to help me with this project, due to the fact that I needed to use heavy tools to get the old material off the chair and needed to use a staple gun to put on the new fabric. Due to my fatigue and muscle loss, I couldn't even squeeze the trigger once, so thank the Lord for Bunny! Here is my attempt to do it myself, hehe, a lot of grunting occurred then the staple gun was taken from my hand.

This rocker is very special to our family. It was my dad's chair when he was a little boy, then my mom and grandma re-upholstered it when I was little, when we were still living in my birth town of Mineral Wells, TX......YEEEEHAW!!! Now, 25 years later, it was definitely time to give it some new life! Grant has sat in this rocker for a long time, but the 80's fabric was doing nothing for it, not to mention most of the stuffing was gone and the fabric was worn to a frazzle. Jo-Ann's was having a 50% off sale on all of their upholstering fabric, so I knew it was time for the upgrade!
Here is the fabric that it once was covered in......exciting huh? We kept one piece that was in really good condition to cover the bottom, so we would always have a reminder of what it was once like. The microfiber washes up with water so easily and the material and supplies cost around $12, what a difference it makes! Hopefully our material will last 25 years, but I won't hold my breath!


Now it is all ready for its new home in Muskegon, if we ever get to close on our house! All in God's time!

3 comments:

  1. That's so awesome! And so professional looking! Great job, Lex!

    I'm sorry you're still waiting to close. I don't know what is taking them so long. We are waiting on the appraisal, both buying and selling. The home we are selling has finally got a scheduled closing date (the original one the buyers requested - 6/17) but we still don't have the appraisal so we are holding our breath. We won't know until that DAY if we will close or not b/c the buyers are closing on their home that they are selling that morning, so that has to happen first. And the home we are buying we requested to close on 6/24, but they are saying maybe closer to the end of the month. As long as it's before we go to Korea, people! I know that sooooo many people are refinancing that there is a backlog of appraisers, but IMHO people who are buying / selling should be at the top of the list! :)

    In God's timing, I keep telling myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Good luck with labor on Thursday - I'll be thinking of you and wishing it was me : )

    ReplyDelete