Another delicious meal idea is to make soup. I love to make this soup at the end of the month when I start cleaning out the refrigerator. It is super easy to make and in no time you've used up leftovers that were going to go to waste and you have a filling dinner.
I like to make a large batch because this freezes so well. And even though this is the basic recipe I start with, I add anything that sounds good and it has always turned out great!
Combine listed ingredients in a large stock pot and cook until hot and thick! (About 45 mins on medium heat)
- 8-10 potatoes -peel and microwave in a covered dish until soft and then rough mash
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or your favorite cheese(it's even great with Velveeta style cheese)
- 1-2 cups cubed chicken
- Any leftover vegetables (think corn, carrots, onions, etc)
- 1/4 cooked bacon or turkey
- 1 tsp salt
- Optional: 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp of ranch seasoning powder
To thicken it up into a chowder, I make a roux with flour and butter in a skillet then add milk whisking quickly until I have a rather thick pasty mixture. Slowly pour this into your stock pot while stirring.
Let me know what you think, it's a favorite at our house alone or with a grilled cheese or panini!!!