Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tasty Tuesdays: Baked Potato Chowder

Last Tuesday, I shared how potatoes can really help to stretch your budget and make a simple and easy meal.

Another delicious meal idea is to make soup. I love to make this soup at the end of the month when I start cleaning out the refrigerator. It is super easy to make and in no time you've used up leftovers that were going to go to waste and you have a filling dinner.

I like to make a large batch because this freezes so well. And even though this is the basic recipe I start with, I add anything that sounds good and it has always turned out great!

Combine listed ingredients in a large stock pot and cook until hot and thick! (About 45 mins on medium heat)

  • 8-10 potatoes -peel and microwave in a covered dish until soft and then rough mash
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or your favorite cheese(it's even great with Velveeta style cheese)
  • 1-2 cups cubed chicken
  • Any leftover vegetables (think corn, carrots, onions, etc)
  • 1/4 cooked bacon or turkey
  • 1 tsp salt
  • Optional: 1 tbsp garlic powder 
  •                  2 tbsp of ranch seasoning powder

To thicken it up into a chowder, I make a roux with flour and butter in a skillet then add milk whisking quickly until I have a rather thick pasty mixture. Slowly pour this into your stock pot while stirring.

Let me know what you think, it's a favorite at our house alone or with a grilled cheese or panini!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment