Monday, April 9, 2012

Motherhood Monday: Cast the First Stone

Last Monday, I shared my heart break over the outlook of many women's view of home. I was moved by their responses and saddened about the state of our world over the fact that being home with kids, family, and responsibility led these women to talk in such negative terms.

Thankfully God has transformed my heart, but yes, I used to be one of those women.
And some days my heart reverts.

When we had our first child, I felt it was my duty to load this little one up, drive all over town for play dates and activities. This little guy, who was so young, had no clue what we were doing, but I felt this urge to be busy. To fill our time with constant motion. To focus on things that had no lasting value or purpose. To do anything to pass these boring, mundane hours.

At that time, I had no grasp on the notion of being a homemaker, a helpmeet, and a mother. Sure food was cooked, laundry wasn't piling up, and things were pretty clean, but I wasn't focusing on making our home a haven for my family. I wasn't nourishing my marriage or children. I would love to be able to go back to that time and tell that 23 year old to just enjoy the "being". I love that term.....being. Psalm 46:10 comes to mind when I think of this term, "Be still and know that I a God."

God has such an awesome role for women who are willing to accept it and thrive in it. Don't get me wrong, there are many days when it takes a LOT of effort to enjoy this job. But God has helped me to see the blessing that come from being home.

I'm not sure when home turned into a four letter word, but from the comments I read on that blog page, I saw a true distaste and hostility towards being home. Home, by definition is "one's place of residence, a congenial environment". That sound like a wonderful place to be and it sounds like one has to actually be there for it to fall under this description.

Next time, I'm going to share some of the benefits and blessings we have gained first hand by my being home!

What's your view of home? Sanctuary or sanatorium?





No comments:

Post a Comment