Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tasty Tuesdays: Flip it up....


.....flip it back, flip it on the pancake stack!

Pancakes are a favorite here at our house, but most mornings I lack the motivation to make up a batch from scratch. For a long time, I would buy microwave pancakes from the store, but those got to be really expensive. So to save time and money, and give the kiddos one of their favorite meals more often, I make my own version from scratch!!

I always get out my trusty copy of Joy of Cooking and use their basic pancake recipe.

1-1/2 C flour
1tsp. Salt
1-1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 or 2 eggs
3Tbl. melted butter
1 to 1-1/4 C milk.
3 Tbl. sugar.

But again, this takes alot of work, my "cooking assistants" are quite messy and cries of hunger come from impatient little ones. That's why I always double the recipe, sometimes triple it, depending on how well stocked I am with staples. After mixing it all up, I make enough pancakes to feed my herd and we eat.
She-fit.com

After our meal, I head back to the kitchen to cook up all the rest of my batter. I like to make small pancakes, just a little bigger than silver dollar sized. This size is easy to cook, cool, and store. When they are ready to come out of the skillet, I place them on a cooling rack until they are room temperature.

Once cool, I take aluminum foil cut into small squares, and alternate pancakes and foil into a tall stack. I store my pancakes in a normal plastic zipper bag. I can usually store 3-4 medium stacks in each bag and then I just lay them in a flat area in the freezer until frozen. The next day, I toss the bag down into my "breakfast" drawer in the freezer and whenever we have a craving for pancakes, I just take out exactly what we need.

When it's time to warm those delicious flap jacks up, I just lay them on a microwave safe plate in a single layer and warm them for about a minute until hot! So easy, pancakes even on the busiest of mornings! And since I made them from scratch, I know exactly what is in them, I can make them with chocolate chips or blueberries, or a couple of each, and they are super cheap to make. Since we save so much money we can have this treat more often!

Tip: As I use up the pancakes, I take the foil squares out of the zipper bag and put them in my baking drawer to use again next time. It saves money and resources and saves me the time of cutting up more squares! I also label my freezer bag - pancakes - and reuse this bag over and over again when I mix up a big batch of tasty pancakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment